Saturday, February 21, 2009

Why I will never vacation in Mexico again

I will admit to enjoying Ensenada with my three kids many years ago. it was cheap, and a tiny adventure for us. the drive through Tijauna was EYE poppingly sad.
I went to Rosarito with my girlfriend couple years before that and we had no trouble, ate decent food for the same prices as I would pay here, shopped for trinkets, and listened to the ocean waves from a beachfront room. It was much less expensive ( and much less luxurious) than a beachfront room in San Diego.

Mexico is not our friend, not for a long time. It is not a good neighbor, and I do not mean its people are not good. It is now ruled by a combination of wealthy families and drug cartels, the police and bureaucrats are mostly powerless to stop the decay of this once decent country. Daily it exports its poor and kilo sized packages of death to our interior. No matter how white the beaches or ancient the ruins you would not catch me there. I will not give my tourist dollars to aid such a 'neighbor'. You can do whatever you wish, but you may change your mind after reading this, and then book a flight to Hawaii ( big island) or to the Texas gulf coast.
Keep American travel dollars in America or Canada or fly across 'the pond' and visit where they still have Queens of the crazie and not so crazy kind.

-----------------
more fun: my ducks pic is here
my snow pic and poem is here

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi David. Netchick sent me.

Your post is very thought provoking. On the one hand the country is our neighbor, but on the other, it raises a lot of issues. You've definitely given me something to think about for the day.

rashbre said...

Hmm. I'v not been to Mexico and so much of my viewpoint is from movies. Indeed, many of the movies also feature (a) US criminals escaping across the border. (b) drug related crime syndicates. (c) olden days lawlessness (d) quaint clothes and spanish sounding music.

So I'm badly informed and can't add much. And I know the equivalent British movies probably have smog/fog, bowler hats and groovy mini coopers.

David Edward said...

M Roasts: glad to feed your gray matter.
Rashbre: it is brits pub scenes and miniSKIRTS that intrigue us colonists

Bobkat said...

I'm pretty much with Rashbre on this as this is where I get my view of Mexico from too. It's never been a country on my list to visit though and now it certainly won't be!

By the way, the pub scenes seem about accurate but only teenage girls wear mini skirts on the whole! Also, I think you should know that practically all the red phone boxes are gone!

Netchick sent me over this time :)

Anonymous said...

We might lack enchiladas, cervesas and tequilla, but we make up for it with maple syrup and bison burgers.

Go Canada!

C.

ps. NetChick sent me, of course. :)

Dale Challener Roe said...

Some good points there. I don't know if I'd ever thought of it in those terms, but Mexico is definitely somewhere I'd avoid in general.

Snaggle Tooth said...

what a bad experirnce for those x-residence! Sounds more like theft than eviction-
I heard something about this awhile back n also that Baja California people wanted to form their own state or country government to get away from the Mexican tyranny. Someone I grew up with lives a couple miles from the border.

craziequeen said...

Hey david, our mutual friend sent me over this morning :-)

Of course, you are all more than welcome to come visit my crazie kingdom and stay a while :-)

I have never had any desire to visit Mexico, and I am with Rashbre and Bob on the images I have of the place. I just know Baja as a holiday resort from TV and film.
I'm more into places like your little bit of America - or medieval castles [grin]

Every country has its issues and problems, but some do seem to have more than others....

cq

craziequeen said...

Hi david, just popping in to the M&G while dinner is cooking....and Tanya sent me here again :-)

I'm off to see Dale now, seeing as you recommend his post on the M&G :-)

cq

craziequeen said...

oh blimey - not that crazie queen again! :-(
Blame Tanya! :-)

I nipped over to see your pretty little ducks...I do love animals.

Had to laugh out loud at the snake eyes joke........

[snigger]

cq

Pat said...

Hi David - just popped in to wish you a happy week and found what you said about Mexico illuminating. I know precious little about it.
We'll have all the queens including her Maj. lined up to welcome you and you'll love the pubs.