Friday, July 28, 2006

not an easy day

I knew a man once.
Growing up with a screwed up father
left him unable to love,
but he could keep things clean
and neat.
You could read his magazine but please don't lay
it down opened, upside down, that will bend the cover.
Magazines must remain mint condition.
He could not appreciate his house, on acres
in the northern woods, because it could not be
ALL right. there were too many things to fix.
He could not enjoy his work.
Saddest of all
he could not enjoy his beautiful wife,
So he did her the ultimate injustice.
He committed the perfect crime,
he killed himself in the garage where they lived
and she was left with the mess.
That is terrorism.
----------------------------
Every day from now on I will thank God for my dad
and the great years he gave his family.
He was a lover, and messy.
I am his son.
forever

19 comments:

Yo Tambien Te Mando Besos said...

Hi David!
I'm here today via Michele's. What a lovely ending to that story. I liked it too much. Have a great weekend.

Anonymous said...

A great tribute to Dad. You are a damn good father yourself. See you soon.

Rick

Carli N. Wendell said...

cool spider there. There was a freaky looking mutant bee on stilts outside at lunch today, and I swear he just sat down on the windowsill and stayed there as if joining our conversation. Michele sent me!

MsT said...

Very moving. Here from Michele's.

-tnchick- said...

Nice piece. Sad, too.

srp said...

Here from Michele.
You are right, that is a cruel form of terrorism.

Love the lightening picture! How did you take that, tripod, movie clip?

verniciousknids said...

Lovely thoughts...and an important reminder.

Michele sent me.

The Flamingess said...

From Michele
So good to be happy with where you come from.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

A very moving piece, with a fine ending.

Michele sent me this way.

phoenix said...

Good morning from Michele. Beautiful poem David.

Anonymous said...

Amen. You are such a good man, David. I'm glad you are the way you are!

Anonymous said...

As a 3 time survivor of suicide (my brother, my father & my brother in law) I was very moved by your poem.
Here from Micheles

kenju said...

I KNOW that I left a comment here yesterday, David, so I don't know where it went.

Those of us who had great dads are lucky. I know too many who are not.

Michele sent me.

Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

Let's hear it for the messy lovers.

Live slow, die old, and leave a disheveled corpse

Leah said...

no, i dont like spiders...
ode to a Dad... Very nice!

a visit back from visiting me thru Michele's

utenzi said...

Michele sent me to Sugarloaf Mountain, David.

Well, I hope that his wife was able to recover from that. Cleaning up after a suicide--in the physical and emotional sense--isn't easy or fast. I'm not sure if the neat/messy contrast is the best way to judge these things, but since I'm messy it's okay with me, David.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Deja vu, as I was here earlier.

Michele sent me this way.

Anonymous said...

David, this is beautiful in its honesty and your presentation of a painful subject.

Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

michele sent me back to tell you that i'm still messy