Wednesday, November 16, 2005

a satellite view for you

Google maps has a pretty good view of Sugarloaf and our mountains. give it a try!

If you look real close you will see a mother eating dinner at the table
with her darling daughter. She cooked pasta and made a simple sauce,
The daughter rinsed some greens for a salad. Her dad cooked chicken on the BBQ and it was all so yummy! This is perhaps the first time all three have had dinner together in nine years. I can't quite get my mind around it myself, but there it is. A pleasing sight, and I feel proud to have instigated a move that can bring more peace, more love into the young lady's life.
Next step: family thanksgiving.

Third night in the loft: its cold but I am piling on blankets and enjoying having the sunrise wake me up at a few minutes after six.

Today's amazing forage find - a tree had shed all its pears and they were in good enough shape to save. Maybe fifty pounds of them. I canned two quarts tonight as a trial run - unbelievable flavor, now I am searching for pear recipes. Have you got a good one? anything suitable to Thanksgiving?

5 comments:

Me said...

Here's one which uses turkey...

http://www.justfruitrecipes.com/fru-0016598.html

There's oodles of pear recipes here, David.. might help you!

Hope your canning goes well... nothing like preserving your own food, is there. :o)

David said...

Me - I am so THANKful for your comment. I am off to check it out.
100 ponds of pears requires swift action.

Veronika said...

Mmmm pears. I haven't had a pear since I lived in CA. I don't have any recipes that call for pears, but your dinner and evening sounded quite nice :)

Veronika said...

P.S. You're only 7 hours and 38 minutes away from where my mom lives! She retired and moved up to Groveland. We (my sisters and I) were raised in the Bay Area.

lady_wisdom said...

David, Have you ever made pear sauce? Just like apple sauce, only with pears. Sometimes I add a little maple syrup and cinnamon and lemon juice or citric acid or vitamin c (to keep it from browning). Pear sauce is wonderful if you've never had it. And you don't have to peel them, just core them. Happy cooking!